Yoga (Sanskrit: योग : root word yuj : meaning to yoke, direct or control) is the science and art of managing our mind so we can live in the present and experience life as it happens rather than the 24 X 7 mental overdrive prevalent in our age of information. The purpose of yoga hence is to yoke the mind. Here in the US we are most familiar with physical Yoga poses (Asana). Asana are only one of the eight limbs of Yoga and yet the benefits of Asana by itself are remarkable.
- Core Strength: Yogis lift their own weight. They have some of the best abdominal muscles that I have ever seen.
- Flexibility: Old age is often another name for stiffness. Yoga will keep you limber and flexible well into your eighties.
- Weight Loss: Yoga helps with weight loss both by building muscle and by getting the mind to a place where it does not crave food. Indeed a yoga practice is the one of only consistently effective tools for people whose weight goes up and down. (Often called yo yo dieters)
- Depression: Certain yoga poses and Pranayama ( breath work) can be very useful in the treatment of depression.
- Anxiety: Yoga is very useful in anxiety as it can provide tools that help the patient deal with anxiety during an attack and also resets the basal anxiety level of the brain
- Backache: Dr Robert Saper from Boston University has studied yoga sequences that reduce chronic backache. We use variations of this and other sequences to help our patients reduce the intensity and frequency of back ache.
- At Zanjabee we offer yoga in various forms:
Therapeutic Yoga: This is a customized yoga regimen developed for an individual patient to address a specific complaint and delivered either one to one and in small groups.
Specific yoga sequences that have been proven to work for specific complaints like back ache, depression, anxiety and overeating. Our practitioners will develop individualized yoga prescriptions for you after evaluating your problem in depth.
One on One Therapeutic Yoga: ($125 per hour) Dr Ali and other yoga practitioners will develop the individual treatment plan with you and take you through a session targeted at your specific area of concern. There is a focus on breath regulation and fine pose adjustment. Most students experience significant progress in their practice in these sessions. We highly recommend them as your first session at Zanjabee and then as needed if you find that you have hit a plateau in small group therapeutic yoga.
Small Group Therapeutic Yoga: ($35 per session – limit: 6 people/session) Small group yoga is similar to One to One Therapeutic yoga except there can be up to six people in the session.
Participants have similar yoga treatment prescriptions so the practice is possible in a small group setting. Small groups are not only more affordable but harness the therapeutic energy of the group.
Logistics of Therapeutic Yoga:
If your Primary Care Doctor (PCP) is at Zanjabee:
Your PCP will see you for a detailed history and physical examination that not only examines your primary complaint but also zooms into other factors in your life e.g. loss of a loved one and/or change of a job that might be contributing your illness. This meeting is covered by insurance.
If your primary care physician is not at Zanjabee:
If you already have a primary care physician and come to Zanjabee for therapeutic yoga, we will request your primary care provider to send us a detailed History and Physical Exam. We will ask you to fill a Zanjabee Therapeutic Yoga Questionnaire. A Zanjabee Doctor will review your H&P and the questionnaire and develop a treatment plan for you.
Your first class at Zanjabee has to be a one to one therapeutic class with one of our doctors. The doctor will examine you and discuss the treatment plan. The subsequent yoga treatments can be delivered through small groups therapeutic if you and the doctor decide that is the best option for you.
Maintenance Yoga: ($17 per session)
This is similar to what you will find at any reputable yoga studio with a focus on regulating the breath, flexibility, core strength and stilling the mind.
Please bring your mat. Check schedule on website. Walk-ins are welcome but class size is limited to 12 students. Please call ahead if you need to be sure of a place in the class. Classes can be bought in packets of 5 or 10 classes. Cash only unless you do not have a card.